Apothecary Jar with Gothic Leaf Motif

Italian
15th century
c. 1450–75
Tin-glazed earthenware
8 1/8 x 7 1/2 x 5 1/2 in. (20.6 x 19 x 14 cm)
AP 1979.08
Currently Not On View
By the late fifteenth century, polychrome wares had replaced the more limited palette of Severe-style majolica, adding new shades of gold and green. Plant forms predominated, particularly an elegantly scrolled “Gothic-floral” leaf—a motif often combined with a wavy ray pattern associated with San Bernardino of Siena, as on this two-handled example from Faenza.

Provenance

(Luigi Grassi, London); purchased by Kimbell Art Foundation, Fort Worth,1979.