Albarello with Pine Cone Motif

15th century
c. 1500
Tin-glazed earthenware
12 1/4 x 5 1/2 in. (31.1 x 14 cm)
AP 1979.09
Currently Not On View
By the late fifteenth century, polychrome wares had replaced the more limited palette of Severe-style majolica, adding new shades of gold and green. Plant forms predominated, particularly an elegantly scrolled “Gothic-floral” leaf motif. This Tuscan albarello, perhaps from Cafaggiolo, has a staggered design of pine cones derived from Persian palmettes. Albarelli, cylindrical vessels of Near Eastern form, were widely used in pharmacies to store herbs, honey, and ointments.


(Luigi Grassi, London); purchased by Kimbell Art Foundation, Fort Worth, 1979.